On Site / Flexible
Publisher Name 04
Type of Job
April 1, 2021, 5:00:00 AM
About the job
The Email Strategist is a key member of the Communications Team and is responsible for strategically and creatively writing, executing, optimizing and reporting on Lambda Legal’s email advocacy and fundraising campaigns using Convio. This position reports directly to the Communications Director, who is based in our NYC headquarters.
WHO WE ARE
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work. Since 1973, Lambda Legal has used impact litigation and other advocacy tools to decriminalize same-sex relationships; challenge discrimination against LGBTQ people and people living with HIV in the workplace, in the home, in schools, in health care, and in the military; and protect LGBTQ families, including by winning and defending marriage equality. Clients are not charged for legal representation or advocacy and Lambda Legal receives no government funding. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington, D.C.
We believe that serving the full breadth of the LGBTQ and HIV communities requires cultural competency and enthusiasm for diversity of all kinds. To be successful, we must approach our work with an understanding that discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is not the only obstacle to achieving full formal and lived equality for LGBTQ people and everyone living with HIV; rather, we recognize the intersectional nature of discrimination, specifically including biases based on race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, education, and class. In light of this reality, we prioritize awareness and proactive commitment to counteracting these biases and their compounding effects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Handle all aspects of email strategy, including planning, writing, designing, executing, optimizing, targeting, and reporting. Actively finding opportunities for Lambda Legal to use email to accomplish advocacy and fundraising goals.
· Train others to use and be the resident expert in Convio and Raiser's Edge.
· Code and test HTML emails and when problems arise, be able to efficiently troubleshoot.
· Play a key role in managing the multiple relationships with Convio support, and represent the needs and concerns of team members across the department.
· Strategically and creatively use email to drive growth in fundraising by understanding how and when the Lambda Legal Development team should use email to grow fundraising revenue and by understanding the balance between staying informed on current email marketing best practices and growing Lambda Legal’s unique, experimental voice to separate the organization from its competitors.
· Drive and manage acquisition campaigns that bring in new potential donors.
· Responsible for integrated campaign management by coordinating the development of landing pages for all email campaigns, including petitions, legislative action, fundraising, online store, and event registration pages.
· Manage the shared Email Calendar with the events team to prevent overlap on deliveries and ensure no geo-market is overlooked or oversaturated. This includes training appropriate staff on best practices for place-holding campaigns on the calendar, providing technical support when needed, and coordinating across Lambda Legal’s five national offices with appropriate staff.
· Design and implement A/B and multivariate split tests. Strategize forward-thinking next steps for new ways to bring new stories to our current (and new) audiences by continuously expanding on segmentation best practices that serve as benchmark tools.
· Collect and analyze email metrics and report trends and findings to different stakeholders through individual engagements and team meetings.
· Ensure Lambda Legal portrays compelling, untold stories about its clients and work that encourage audiences to take action by employing dynamic writing and storytelling skills.
· Demonstrate capabilities for message discipline and for narrative communications.
· A candidate must be self-directed and self-motivated and comfortable and adept at working with a remote manager.
· A qualified individual will have at least 2-4 years of previous email marketing experience for advocacy and fundraising along with strong proficiency in Convio and Raiser’s Edge, and strong writing, strategic, and technical skills.
· Working at Lambda Legal requires a demonstrated awareness of and commitment to the concerns of the breadth of the communities that Lambda Legal serves. Prior work on behalf of the LGBTQ community and/or people living with HIV and/or experience working with other historically marginalized communities (in a professional or volunteer capacity) is preferred.
This position requires some regional travel; travel percentage of 20%.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, travel has been postponed until further notice.
The health and well-being of our employees and their loved ones are of the utmost importance to us. During the Pandemic, we have chosen to close our offices. Our employees are all working from home, and only visit the office voluntarily, only if absolutely necessary. We follow CDC and Department of Health guidelines to ensure the safety of employees who occasionally need to work from the office. We have an employee task force that is continually evaluating and assessing when we can re-open. At this time, we do not foresee re-opening our office in the next several months.
Salary is based on the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The salary range starts at $52,569 and is commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package is provided, including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, employer contributions to retirement account, and substantial vacation.
The position is open until filled.
Lambda Legal has partnered with Cooper Coleman to conduct this search process.
To apply, please visit this link to submit your resume. To nominate qualified candidates, please contact:
Johnny Cooper, Principal.
A cover letter is not required with your initial application. Candidates who are invited to interview will be asked to provide a thoughtful letter of interest indicating their qualifications for the specific opportunity, desire to join Lambda Legal, and connection to its mission.
Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBT, HIV-affected and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, transgender and gender-diverse people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, people living with disabilities, and individuals living with HIV are encouraged to apply.